So you’ve just accepted a new position? Congratulations!
A change in career is always exciting, it’s great to climb the career ladder and expand your horizons! Each new job will bring new experiences and new skills which will help you grow as an employee. Whilst starting a new job is something to look forward to, we understand that it can also be quite daunting. Completely starting from scratch in a new environment is a challenge for anyone!
If you are feeling worried, we have compiled our five top tips to help you get settled into your new work environment!
- Take Notes – During the first few days of your new job you will be presented with lots of information, however, it is unlikely that all of this information will sink in. The first few days can be a blur; you will be trying to process so much that it will be impossible to remember everything that you are told. Be sure to take a pen and paper to take notes throughout the day! This will give you something to look back over if you ever feel unsure and help you keep track of all the aspects of your new position that you have covered.
- Introduce Yourself – When you start a new job, it’s a good idea to introduce yourself to your colleagues, rather than wait for them to talk to you. This will help you forge relationships with your colleagues and help make your transition into the role easier. You can also take the opportunity to find out more about their role and how you can assist them in the future.
- Immerse Yourself – Each company has it’s own culture, when you start at a new company, take the time to study their culture and adapt your self to it. Often you will just fit right in, during your interview you will have expressed the right values and qualities which will have made your employers feel you were the right match for the company. Immerse yourself in the culture of your new company and embrace new experiences and office norms.
- Seek Help When You Need It – Everyone can feel a bit lost when they start a new job. When you’re taking in so much information it is easy to forget things. If you have forgotten how to do something or are unsure of anything, don’t be afraid to ask your colleagues for help. Everyone will understand that you are new, and they will want to make sure that you know how to do things correctly.
- Stay Positive – The most important thing to remember when starting a new job is to remain positive! You might make mistakes and it might take you longer than you expected to learn the ropes, but that is okay. The important thing to do is keep a positive attitude and remain calm, you will get used to your new position in good time. Just take it one day at a time.
The main thing to remember is, enjoy it! Whilst starting a new career can be stressful and scary it is also exciting. You are climbing the career ladder and forging your future!
If you would like to see more helpful tips like this follow our social pages!